The Importance of a Business Email Domain
How can you benefit from having a business e-mail domain?
Having a business e-mail domain rather than a freemail address can offer many advantages, as outlined in the following six points:
- Professional: a polished image is key in having a successful career, and that applies to your online presence as well. While freemail addresses with provider domains often convey an amateur image, successful businesses and entrepreneurs use e-mail domains. By customizing the e-mail, you can ensure that your contact details are coordinated, creating a sleek and professional image which facilitates customers’ trust. The most effective domains are either company-oriented or personal, for example:email@example.com@firstname.lastname@example.org@company.com
- Concise: freemail companies provide e-mail addresses with their domain to their customers, making it difficult to register a name that is unique and concise. Names are usually snapped up very quickly, so users are often forced to come up with long combinations of numbers and letters:email@example.comLong e-mail addresses carry with them the risk of being misspelled or misremembered, whereas custom e-mail addresses can be shorter, making them concise and more memorable.
- Permanent: with your own e-mail domain, you are independent from freemail providers, meaning that you can easily move a domain to a different provider if need be. In the United States, domain names count as intellectual property, meaning they’re legally protected. The same cannot be said for freemail domain users, who are forced to change their e-mail if the provider changes.
- Ad-free: freemail accounts are often sponsored by advertisements. Not only do the providers use their pool of customers to promote advertisements, these accounts are also easy targets for spam. A personal e-mail domain, on the other hand, is based on a payment model, meaning that there are no advertisements and a smaller risk of spam.
- Safer: cybercriminals also need a high hit rate if their malware (such as viruses or Trojans) are to have a big effect. Freemail providers are a common target for hacking and phishing, but this risk decreases significantly with a personal e-mail domain.
- Typo-proof: correctly configured e-mail addresses with their own e-mail domains can be far more reliable than freemail addresses. Using a catch-all function, it’s possible to redirect incoming messages to a domain on a main inbox, even if the local part before the @ symbol is spelt incorrectly. This is essential in order to avoid losing important messages.